Saturday, May 28, 2016

Ben and Cassie are the REAL Power Couple of 'The Fifth Wave' Trilogy

"The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that (s)he is most alive when alone," -Martin Amis

Recently, I have been in love - and I mean IN LOVE -  with The Fifth Wave series. BUT THE THIRD BOOK IS OUT AND I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THINGS BEFORE I REVIEW IT. Because damn right, I'm going to talk about it. I might even do a YouTube video about it. 

The most popular couple in The Fifth Wave is Evan and Cassie, and a good percentage of readers agree. However, I don't ship Cassie with really anyone, maybe with Ben (Zombie).

So, here are four reasons why Ben and Cassie are the REAL powercouple in this trilogy. I will also be comparing and contrasting Evan in the explanation sections. 

1. They share a common love: Sam/Nugget. 

Throughout the first book, the main focus of nearly everything Ben and Cassie do is for Sammy Sullivan. Continually, they risk their own lives to save him. Sam is the silver cord (ha, you see what I did there?) that binds them together. They continually work towards a common goal, and that goal is protecting Sam. It is beautiful and unites them in ways that Evan cannot understand. This deep level of understanding and connection is what holds them together like glue, and, invariably makes them better for each other. 

2. They work well together. 

Ben and Cassie spend much more time together in The Infinite Sea, but even in the climax of The Fifth Wave, their cooperation shines.  Despite their bickering, they seem to know how the other works. Their banter is raw and they know how to get sh*t done. Ben and Cassie, standing alone and together, are much more down-to-earth and realistic than Evan and Cassie ever are. Evan is idealistic, while Ben is realistic. This even could get into a debate about Ben and Evan being foil characters, but, truthfully, Ben and Cassie can talk about things rationally without emotion, which is an important aspect in good relationships with people. 

3. They are strong, stand-alone characters. 

When I first started reading The Fifth Wave, I was a bit hesitant of the dual POV, split between Cassie and Ben. I was worried that I'd get bored with Ben's POV. However, I found that I was enthralled with both sides of the story. Both Ben and Cassie are well-developed, fleshed out characters. If one of them was the only character in the story, they could carry it on their shoulders. They'd make a fabulous couple because they are two strong characters coming together like puzzle pieces.  

Evan, however, always remains a mystery. He has very little time and leverage to be developed in both books. His brooding and quiet nature doesn't make for an interesting read, or an interesting character.  Evan and Cassie are quite unbalanced, and quite frankly, Evan degrades Cassie's character, especially when she gets all mushy with those 'chocolate eyes and soft hands'. Oh my God, no. 

4. They are incredibly, viciously, human. 

Moments before Cassie kills the Crucifix Soldier, the tension is tactile. When Ben is hit with the blow that they are the Fifth Wave, the shock is felt through every reader like a punch to the gut. Each rollercoaster emotion is gut-wrenchingly real, and, ultimately, makes the readers connect with them more. There's a reason I had a hard time connecting with Ringer in the first book, but The Infinite Sea gave me a left hook to the face with the last half in Ringer's POV. Each character, especially Cassie, Ben, and Ringer, are beautiful human characters - even when Ringer becomes enhanced, we still have a connection to her because of the other books and her beautiful last act. 

This might have something to do with the fact that Evan is not incredibly, viciously, human. While teenage girls get weak in the knees with his perfectly romantic prose and brooding good looks, he is disconnected and cold.  

If you can't tell, Evan Walker is really the only problem I have with The Fifth Wave Series. 


So, yeah. I'm right and you're wrong. Next week's blog post will probably be a review of The Last Star. Viciously excited and scared to read it. I truly don't want to finish, because I want everything to stay all perfect and alive and okay in my head. 

~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment