Saturday, January 12, 2019

So, I survived my first week of SCAD. | Olivia J

"Don't edit your soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly," - Franz Kafka

This blog is dead, but it's fine. This is still my space for whoever wants to join with me. 

This past Monday, I started school at the Savannah College of Art and Design. Well, eLearning, but it's still a whole new school to get used to. I was - still kind of am - super nervous. I was talking to one of my friends over dinner a few weeks ago about how nervous I was, and he was like "ugh, I know, we have to go to college so we can follow our dreams and stuff." Called out much? But he was right. This is my dream, dammit. 

In terms of my Color Theory class, it's like trying to unlearn six years of art classes from high school and instruction from my grandma Jo. It's also a little bit frustrating to not have a teacher there looking over you, because then you're not entirely sure if you're doing it right until you've submitted it. 

Onto Computer Art Applications . . . this one's kinda like an Intro to Technology class, but for Adobe Creative Cloud. I was really nervous for this one, but it turned out to not be so bad. It's a mostly project-based class, and I'm getting the hand of Adobe Illustrator. 

Visual Culture is my last class, but it's just a really weird name for Art History. I took an art history class last semester, so I'm pretty sure this is just the same game - read, take notes, write essays. 

Overall, I'm super overwhelmed, and who knows if I'm doing any of this right. I'm also terrified that I just suck at this whole art thing and I'm going to be an art school drop out. So, yeah. I'll update you after March, when the next quarter starts. 

~The WordShaker

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a rather frustrating situation. And yes, some classes can be a complete pain. To me, it is more keeping track of things. My classes are the opposite of the e-class type classes you said you are taking. mine are 70% hands on work in greenhouses, landscaping, and sustainable agriculture. out of all the classes you shared about, honestly, the Color Theory one sounds the worst. I liked your comparison with that one. My advice is, it is NOT just you who is overwhelmed , so don't feel alone there. MANY college students feel that way. You got this, though!

    ReplyDelete