Saturday, November 21, 2015

What I Learned From Not Wearing Make-Up

"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words," -Mark Twain

Beginning sometime in fifth grade, I began to wear makeup.   Lipstick, foundation, mascara, the whole shebang. And every day, no matter where I went, I had to wear makeup. 

In hindsight, it was a crutch. A mask I placed on my face to conceal the raging acne and my morphing and changing identity. What I thought I was doing in good fun was masking and reaffirming my self esteem issues about my looks. 

This was because I cared too much.  I cared about the image that I put off.  I was afraid of being ridiculed for the poor quality of my skin.  Since I didn't feel pretty, I wanted to feel pretty and compete with the girls who had perfectly plump lips and long eyelashes and smooth skin. 

But as I grew older, and I filled in and my face matured - and, more importantly, my hormones calmed down, the makeup reduced. 

But I was still insecure.  I still wore light foundation and mascara every day. Because still, I was trying to prove to girls and potential male mates alike that I was pretty, that I was worthy. 

But it's not until I decided to stop wearing makeup that this all hit me.  Slowly but surely, the foundation faded, and soon enough, the mascara fluttered away.  My much desired contacts even left my eye sockets. Back to glasses and bare faced I was. 

But then, it wasn't until I put all of these things back on me that I realized how awesome I really do look. I was finally able to appreciate my button nose, the rose-bud nature of my lips, the brightness of my eyes, the slope of my forehead. Because that's me.  I wasn't hiding any more, for there was nothing to hide. 

And finally, for the first time in my life, I was able to take out my contacts, wash off the makeup, put my glasses back on and look at myself in the mirror and think: Damn, I look freaking amazing. 







So, take off the makeup and learn to appreciate your bare, raw face.  Because that's what your husband is going to wake up to every morning and he's going to whisper to you in his husky voice over the hot sheets and say "This is when you look your finest."


Actually, just kidding.  The truth is I'm too lazy to wear makeup on a regular basis. 

~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment