Saturday, October 10, 2015

FAQ and Questions about My Novel: From You!

"To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard," -Allen Ginsberg

These are some questions that my beta readers and friends had about my novel, so for this week's blog post, I answer them along with some general FAQ.  This post will make much more sense if you read this post--> My WIP

Explain the title and the significance behind it. 

Haha, yes.  Everyone always asks about this because it's such a long title, and half of it is in a different language. The 'Deus Ex Eremus' part comes from the Latin phrase 'Deus Ex Machina', meaning literally God from the machine. It is a plot device meaning the happenstance event that saves or solves a hopeless situation. This phrase and plot device usually has a negative connotation, since it is seen as a cop out.  But I replaced the word 'machina' with 'eremus' which is the Latin word for wilderness, hence the subtitle:  'God from the Wilderness'. The significance of the title would kind of be a spoiler, but I'll try to be vague. Since the whole point of the story is their change and development as they overcome their struggles, the whole God from the wilderness part emphasizes one of the main themes of how great things can come from awful circumstances. 

How did you come up with the idea for the book?

You know, everyone asks this question, but truthfully, I can't remember.  It just kind of came together, I guess. 

What was your most favorite scene to write?

Probably either the first chapter, or Chapter 23, when *ahem* shit starts to get real, and it all has to work out from there.  It is just such a powerful and emotional chapter that rings true of the novel as a whole. 

Least favorite?

Least favorite - hmm, that's hard.  I don't think I can say that I ever disliked any scene, but there were scenes and chapters that were hard and grueling to write. 

Who is your target audience?

This is kind of vague.  While this is a young adult novel, it is very graphic in some ways, the themes and struggles they go through are very centric to teenagers.  More specifically though, I'm still on the fence on whether I want to call this a 'Christian' book.  While the characters are Christian and there are many references to redemption and salvation, they deal with things like rape and abuse, drugs and sex, all very real things, which would scare your squeaky-clean Christian teen.  But the spirituality side might repulse some secular teens. So, yeah.  That was rambling, but you get my point. 

If you had to rate your novel using movie ratings, what would it be?  

*nervous laughter*  Probably R, mostly for strong language, thematic elements, violence and gore, and some sensuality.  So, uh Not Safe For Work. 

Did you cry while writing any parts?

You know, at the end of my last novel, I cried my eyes out.  But no, I didn't.  I mean I felt some hardcore stuff, but no, I never cried for some reason. 

Did you worry your characters would die on you?

No, not really.  Mostly because I'm a plotter and I knew almost every event before I even started writing the story, so if they were going to die, I knew it. Sorry, Amy. 

What was your biggest inspiration when writing this?


Probably Lost.  I got into it a few months after I got the idea for the story, and was enthralled and have been ever since. The characters captivated me, the story pulled me in, the survival was cleanly executed, and, above all else, the themes that ran through the veins of Lost directly inspired my love for the triumph of the human spirit, and overcoming one's obstacles within themselves. 

Hope you enjoyed this!  Have any more questions - email me at oliviajthewordshaker@gmail.com

~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment