Saturday, October 17, 2015

My Third Owl City Concert

"Writing is an exploration.  You start from nothing and learn as you go," -E. L. Doctorow

So, three Owl City concerts down.  An infinite amount to go. 


Lauren and I in the Parking Garage <3

First, I'll talk about the experience as a whole, the ups and the downs. Because there was a considerable amount of both. 


As always, the Hootowls (Adam's fans) were great. They were fun to talk to and constantly looking out for each other. Passionate is the best word to describe them. High energy and down to earth and friendly.  They're the best, and I wish I could be friends with all of them. And Lauren and I shared some pretty awesome conversations with them. 

The venue was the worst, by far.  It was the House of Blues in Chicago, and it was enormously strict. Not only was the concert only an hour and a half because of HoB rules, the Meet and Greet was strict, impersonal and quick. The large man in the blue shirt rushed us along like cattle.  Say hi, smile, click, and leave.  Nothing more. This, was the biggest disappointment of all. 

But my heart is soaring in my chest just thinking about this. I met Adam Young. The fluttery feeling in the cavity of my stomach.  The heat searing through my skin.  I can still feel it all as I am writing this. But seeing the man behind the music right there in front of me was a surreal and insane experience.  I was truly at a loss for words. While it was a disappointment because it wasn't all that I had dreamed about (but since when is life ever that way?), I don't regret a single moment of it. 

Actually, Lauren said a total of about two words, while, I, on the other hand, was a bumbling idiot. I never got anything worthwhile out, much less anything meaningful that I wanted to say.  But since when have I ever been tactful with the spoken word? 

But truly, I wouldn't change a thing about meeting Adam.  While it wasn't amazing and I froze on the spot, I wouldn't trade meeting him for the world. Probably the best experience of my life. And Lauren can most likely vouch for this, but there is no amount of words in the English language that you could string together to equal the sheer emotion of being right there, with Adam freaking Randal Young. 


CONTINUAL SCREAMING

As always, he was a joy to watch preform. Singing each song with devout passion and humble genuineness, he is a mastery at his craft, and the whole Owl City universe is a drop of God himself in this desolate world. He truly is, my only human idol on this earth.  He is everything I aspire to be and more. 

Since Lauren and I didn't get to say all that we wanted to, nor would have there been enough time in the world to say everything required, we are planning on writing separate letters to him, showing all that we could never say in the medium we are best at manipulating: words.   

<3

~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment