Saturday, December 10, 2016

Hairspray Live | NBC's 2016 Musical Review

"If my doctor told me I only had six months to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster," -Isaac Asimov

No musical has such a special place in my heart like Hairspray does. I'm not sure why, but I just found the message relatable, the energy encapsulating, and the music iconic and catchy. I absolutely love it. 

So I was elated when I heard that they were going to do a live version, I knew I had to see it. Like the heathen I am, I skipped church to watch this fantastic musical. 

Henceforth, my extremely critical mind buzzed with comparisons to the 2007 movie and other stage adaptions I've seen. 

Bad things about Hairspray Live!

1. Maddie Baillio's low energy. 

Not to say that she wasn't a good singer or actress, Maddie Baillio just didn't carry that bubbly and earnest charisma that Nikki Blonsky or other Tracys. Maddie Baillio's stage presence wasn't as strong as it should have been - she didn't exude that blind confidence that Tracy needs to. While she wasn't poor, it just didn't always work for me. 

2. Harvey Fierstein as Edna Turnblad. 

What somehow worked with John Travolta as Edna Turnblad shocked everyone. But it wasn't until now until I saw Harvey Fierstein as Edna that I realized that it was John Travolta's androgyny. His androgyny kept your attention on his character, searching for ways to make sense of the ambiguity. It was just plain more entertaining that way. Travolta also played the character with more charisma and style than Fierstein. Travolta had this constant nervousness in his portrayal of Edna, and this made Welcome to the 60's an even more powerful breakout song. Fierstein displayed none of this complexity. 

Also, Fierstein's voice made me want to vomit. 

3. Garrett Clayton as Link Larkin.

 At first, I was shocked at how much of a dead ringer his voice was for Efron's, however, Zac Efron's acting added a much more complexity to Link's character. Link can all to easily become a shallow player, and he kind of is, but Efron and other Links have added the layer of genuineness and consciousness that Clayton didn't have. The whole idea behind Link staying in the spotlight and with Amber is so he can pursue his dancing dreams, but he sees the problems with society and it's Tracy who unlocks this in him. However, this fell flat in the live version. We never saw the struggle Link had leaving Tracy for his image, and then coming back to her to do what's right. 

4. Lack of Iconic charisma. 

This is due to several factors. Ariana Grande as Penny Pingleton being one of them. Sure, she's a top dollar name, but as the title character's best friend, she adds barely anything to the narrative. In other versions of Hairspray I've seen, each of Penny's few and far between lines hits like a hilarious punch to the gut. Ariana Grande had none of the sparky energy or the true silly, airheadedness that Amanda Bynes so perfectly portrayed in the 2007 movie. 

This adaptation just doesn't have the sparkle and energy that even community theaters have exuded. It was middle of the road, and that's all I can say. 


Good things about Hairspray Live!

1. Dove Cameron. 

I had heard about Dove Cameron from the Disney Channel, but I had never seen her sing or act, and she blew me away in Hairspray Live. She was the perfect little blonde brat, and she truly broke out of her Disney Channel labels and strutted her stuff. She's going places. 

2. Jennifer Hudson. 


She slayed. That is all.

3. The fact that it's Hairspray.

I mean, heck. I still enjoyed it. I still fangirled and sang and dance along, so I guess it did it's job. 

~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment