Saturday, January 13, 2018

I don't want to be here. | Olivia J

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple," -Jack Kerouac

A really bad poem about wanting to leave for college. Enjoy as best you can. 


~


I don't want to be here.

Stuck in this place

 where dreams come to die.

Stuck in the place

 where people come to settle. 

I don't want

my pieces to settle 

in the bones of 

someone else's life. 

The lines that separate us

are sprawling suburban lawns

and the ones that cleave status. 

The places I found myself

were somewhere else. 

Somewhere far from 

the mundane 

the ordinary

the stereotype. 

I don't want to be here

where the stars flicker out at 5pm

where everyone pretends they're different

where what I do is a novelty.



I want to be somewhere

where the city never sleeps

where my people are

where adventure and life springs at the corners. 

I want to be somewhere

where my strings

sever like autumn leaves

where my roots are exposed

like the breathings of my heart

where each new day

brings a new face

where I can forget

the person I was

where I can forget

the person you think I am. 



This place would be beautiful

colorful

lively

passionate

hard

soft

new

old

everything

in between. 

This place would be

everything

my home

cannot be.

I have overstayed my welcome.

My soul has traversed on

while my body remains here

stuck in an all-to-familiar place. 

I dream of a place

where my eyes are painted in color

where the streets are paved in gold

where the city bleeds words

where I can find my place

outside of nowhere. 

And this place

it would be me

really

truly

me. 


~

This would probably be better as a slam poetry video but I don't know how to do slam poetry or make a good video so. 

Oh well.  


~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment