Saturday, January 30, 2016

Why I Write: Blogging with CWC

"You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page," -Jodi Picoult

Prerequisite: If you weren't already aware, I am the president of WCHS's Creative Writing Club, and we have been working on blogs for the month of January, and we have banded together to create a website. And last week's writing prompt was 'Why I Write', and now, these are going to be posted on the website. Check out all of their responses!

This is mine:

I write because I have to. I write because words paint my lips and run through my veins. They chip off with my fingernails and grow out of my scalp with my hair.


Words have always come ever so naturally to me, but only recently have I realized that I want to write because I have a story to tell.  Words have been poured into this vessel from the hands of the Creator, and they overflow and spill onto the counter. A message from a seed placed by God blossoms within me, and writing is the place where I find myself.


I don't write because I want to, or because I enjoy it.  I write because if I didn't write, I would go mad.  My thoughts would build up like plaque, and my experiences would clutter my mind.  Like a dam after a flood, I would spill over and lose any grasp on reality I still cling to.


I write because it's the only things that I'm truly good at. I can weave an image out of the golden threads of my tongue. There's a story inside of me that has to come out, or it will eat me alive like a parasite I invited in.


I write to tell, not to sell.

~The WordShaker

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Especially love the beginning, about it growing out of you. I wrote a blogpost from this prompt a couple years ago, and here's my response:

    "I want to write because I want to create. I want control. I want to be okay with losing control.

    I want to write because I want to escape. I want to explore. I want to imagine.

    I want to write because I want to have deep relationship without risk. I want to know and be known, even if I have to fake it through characters.

    I want to write because I want to be heard. I want to write because I want you to see me. I want to write because I don’t want to be me.

    I want to write because I want to read. I want to understand Washington Irving, Edgar Allan Poe, Gertrude Stein, and Neil Gaiman. I want to write because I want to learn. I want to be a lifelong student, no really.

    I want to write because I want to teach. I want to write because I want to think. I want to write because I want to feel.

    I want to write because I want to be a part of something bigger. I want to be someone of lasting significance, if only to one person.

    I want to write because I have a story. I want to write because I have many stories no one else will have, and all must be told. I want to write because I want to work with words and talking doesn’t work so well.

    I want to write because I want an explanation for my quirks. I want to write because I want to have a reason for the pain. I want to write because I want to say, “I told you so.”

    I want to write because I hate routine. I want to write because I want to live."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Amy! Love 'I want to write because I hate routine.'

      Delete