Saturday, May 20, 2017

Working in the Library as a Writer | Olivia J

"Books are the plane, the train, and the road. They are the destination and the journey. They are home," -Anna Quindlen

I recently got a job as a page at the local library. And it's been killing me. 

Context, however, is important. It's not an inherently bad job, even though I work 15 hours a week during the school year. It's quiet and low-stress and I can keep to myself. However, I've found that it's not the shelving books part that's hard. It's the duration of the hours and the constant existential crisis it gives me. 

I didn't realize how much I feared growing up until I got this job. It fills me with an existential kind of fear that only produces . . . anger. Anger that this is life and that I am growing old. Anger that this is not what I want out of my life. Just, anger. 

Hats off to Lauren, my best friend who has never wanted to grow up. You know where it's at. 


follow me on instagram @olivia.j.the.wordshaker

However, enough bitching. Onto what will benefit you, as readers and writers. 

The best part of my job is that it's inspiring. As I shelve book after book and absorb the stories around me, it only adds fuel to the fire of me wanting to see my stories on these shelves, my name on a cover. It makes me want to write and get my stories out there to be shelved in libraries all over the world. 

So - not that I recommend this - maybe get a job at a library or volunteer to shelve books. It will appease the pensive booklover and also arouse the aspiring writer in you. 

~The WordShaker

No comments:

Post a Comment